With the ever-increasing text complexity that students are required to access there is an increased imperative for sound vocabulary development in the early years. This course assists teachers to provide explicit vocabulary instruction for all students, particularly in the language of quality texts and ´school’ language.
- Understand the role of vocabulary in the broader English literacy context
- Understand the value of explicit teaching of vocabulary to all students
- Know how to build vocabulary at grade and Stage appropriate levels
- Know ways to introduce and develop students’ technical vocabulary
- Use their knowledge to develop a strategic approach to the teaching of vocabulary
- Be able to adapt activities which will engage students in developing and using richer and more extensive vocabulary for speaking and writing
Who should participate?
- Teachers of students in years F-6
Cost of participation:
(until 16 May 2021)
Completing this course will contribute 5 hours of face to face professional development addressing 1.3.2, 1.5.2, 2.1.2, 3.2.2, 3.3.2, 3.6.2 from the Australian Professional Standards for Teachers towards maintaining Proficient Teacher Accreditation.
PETAA is committed to providing a safe environment for Professional Learning and will follow state health guidelines when organising face to face events.
THIS EVENT IS NOW CLOSED